View Single Post

Old 06-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Gold member
Default Not silly to me

I think the numbers will vary widely, but don't think it's a silly question at all, just a hard one.

I've been tracking all these things, because in our situation, we retired early - at age 60, and will have some other things (2 small pensions, social security) kick in in the next 4-5 years. So - our income is smaller now than it will be later, and I was very concerned as to whether or not we could afford to do this.

Groceries: $350 January thru April this year in TV, we averaged about $350 in monthly grocery bill (but went on a couple of 8-10 day trips). Also had lots of company that we fed (but sometimes they took us out to eat).

Restaurants/Bars - $200

Gas - $60. Averaged about 2 fill-ups per month (small 10.5 gallon tank). 2 electric carts we try to use for most errands, etc. 2 airport trips to pick up people.

Misc. expenses (repairs, improvements, plants, new tires. etc.): $200

Travel: $350 (2 beach trips per year, one cruise, back and forth to Ohio, and to NC to visit grandkids, trips to visit friends in Florida and when in Ohio) Some of this is gas, some airfares, some cruises, some hotels.