View Single Post

Old 06-06-2011, 05:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Just got an iphone with the AT&T plan. So far works great everywhere in TV. And as soon as the T-mobile merger is complete, should be even better.

Memason. I have had a Blackberry with AT&T plan and used extensively all over the world. Yes the bill goes up, but never saw anything more then $40 or $50 extra for that billing period. Have used it all over Europe, Australia and Asia. Now with the iphone I have a data plan. No idea what that impact will be. Did not have that with the Blackberry. Is that what would drive the cost?
When I first moved to Europe, I too had a Blackberry World Edition. I used it for phone calls and my corporate email/calendaring. Monthly phone bills were in $500 to $600 range. I eventually got an iPhone in Europe with Deutsche Telekom (T-Mobile).

Yes, the data is what drives the high cost. Since smartphones are constantly polling the net for email, facebook updates, app updates, etc., etc., etc., it's always using data in the background. Plus, if you're like me, you use the phone (or iPad) for everything...finding a local restaurant, GPS navigation, emailing friends, checking TOTV and just surfing the net.

AT&T does have an international plan, so it might be possible to minimize some of these charges today. I have not checked...

I guess my point in the post was to say "Be Careful", if you use you smart device internationally. ..and if you have an unlocked GSM device (which the AT&T iPad is unlocked), it's more cost effective to purchase a local (Germany, France, Spain, etc.) SIM card than roam internationally.

This is all way too complicated...