View Single Post

Old 06-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanci2539 View Post
My neighbor told me that she and her husband were in Spanish Springs listening to the music in the square in their golf cart The couple next to them were drinking wine and beer (in their golf cart). A police officer came over and handed them a ticket for public drinking. He explained that sitting in a vehicle even a non moving vehicle with an open alchololic beverage is a violation. The couple was so shocked they couldn't speak.

Now if they were standing next to their golf cart or on a sidewalk in the square drinking, that's not against the law!

Is this something that's been going on for awhile or is it a new policy. I know if you have open alcohol in a car and you're stopped for any reason, you can be ticketed for that but we always thought the squares were exempt from this.
I can't say say this particular case, but I have heard of people being charged with driving under the influence in similar situations. Aside from that, I did have one motorist ask me at work if he could be arrested for driving under the influence while on his front porch drinking a beer. In my position (MV Enforcement Supervisor) I had to hold back the urge to bust out laughing at the guy!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"