Thread: Crape Myrtle
View Single Post

Old 06-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanci2539 View Post
One more question - do these trees need a lot of water - meaning watering every day. I haven't read this anywhere but my husband thinks its from lack of water. When it was first planted two years ago, I recall the landscaper saying it needed regular watering but I suspect it was because it was newly planted but once established, the irrigation water would suffice. I know they like sun; what about water? Thanks
Try sticking a wooden dowel rod down into the soil in a few spots around your crepe myrtle and see how wet or dry the ground is below.... that will give you some idea of where you need to go in watering your tree.
I don't think there are many trees that can take daily watering... and 'watering' is a relative term anyway. I lived in a townhouse association that watered so much, they literally drowned over 60 large evergreen trees in short order.
There is a cool garden blog from Southern Living..... titled "The Grumpy Gardener" ( you can Google it)
It's done with humor and expert advice and has a whole section on crepe myrtles that might help!