View Single Post

Old 06-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog103 View Post
Higher octane gasoline is not better gas, it is gas with an additive to prevent pre-ignition in a high compression rated engine.
Here's how it works, in an extremely condensed explanation.
When your piston is travelling up it builds up compression in the cylinder. Under high compression, gasoline which has been squirted into the cylinder via the intake valves can detonate prior to the spark from the spark plug. This is pre-ignition, something you want to avoid. The increased octane actually reduces the explosiveness of the fuel to help prevent the fuel from igniting too soon.
I'm not sure about all carts but Yamaha rates it's golf cart engines at an 8:1 compression rating, hardly high compression.
That's all the increased octane does. It does not reduce odor, it does not increase mileage, it does not decrease wear.
To pay for premium gas most vehicles is a waste of money. If you stick to known brands of gasoline you should have all the additives you need to help your engine run fine and dandy on regular unleaded.
Exactly right. Thanks for dispelling all the old wives tales. Most people think high octane equal more power. Actually a lower compression engine runs "better" on reg fuel as it burns quicker. The cart people can recommend anything they think is right, but the actual manufacture such as Yamaha who built the thing and their engineers who designed it have infinitely more knowledge than Joe or Bob at a golf cart store. Sta-bil marine is good if you plan to let your gas set for 4 weeks or more. I buy gas every other week, so I never use it.