View Single Post

Old 06-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
Downeaster -

The cart paths are multi-modal trails. They are for golf carts, bikes, walking, jogging, skating, unicycling, etc. They are not for cars or motorcycles. Police do not monitor or have jurisdiction on these trails. Golf carts are limited to 20 mph but no tickets are issued for speeding on the trails.

On the streets, carts are still limited to 20 mph. I believe, not sure though, that "Street Legal" carts which have a license plate for Florida can do 25 mph. Quite a few people have the gear ratios changed on their carts so they can do a lot faster than 20 mph. This is illegal and will cost you big fines if caught speeding in the street.
I am aware of the above. The post to which I was referring used the term "cart path". Cart paths are on golf courses and only golf traffic is permitted on them.

I would like to add to the section I highlighted. Not only can it cost big fines. They can require the offender to restore the cart to original manufacturers' specs.

Last, but not least, is insurance coverage. By tampering with the vehicle to make it capable of speeds exceeding 20MPH, they may have voided their insurance coverage. In the event of an accident, regardless of fault, the claims adjuster is going to discover the vehicle is not really a golf cart and coverage may be denied.

With all of the pitfalls of exceeding 20MPH, I can not understand why people do it.