View Single Post

Old 06-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Graciegirl, interesting question because it is one we all have asked ourselves and some of us several times. To add an element to your question we all have had these forks in the road along our journey that have had a major effect on our lives. For instance I have written that my wife and I have been together since high school. However, I made a decision to quit schoolat age 17 and go in the Navy. I did not want my wife to wait for me and to interfere with her ;ife, studies, etc. So I broke it off in June knowing i was leaving for boot camp in August. The day before my departure my friends had planned a going away party. I was sitting on the curb that afternoon talking to my friends when walking down my street was my wife to be. I stood up walked over to her and invited her to my party. That same night a very rich girl from the other side of town made it clear she had great interest in me. I was very confused . My best friend walks up to me with his arm around both of these girls and ask me to choose. Well you know the rest of the story and during my entire enlistment my girlfriend wrote me and during my enlistment we married I was 19 she 18 . I finished school in the service, started colledge and following my dicharge finished college. If I had not spoken to my wife on that particular day we would not have continued our relationship and not married and all that followed. It was a good life and she wasand is a good wife. I chose wisely and made the right choices for me

These roads taken/not taken shape our lives. Think back and all of you reading this post will be able to pin point moments (decision) such as mine that dramatically altered your life even though the decision may have been a subtle one at the time

When people ask would you choose.... it all over again, I interpret that to be a form of mourning our youth. And I would be lying to say that I do not mourn my youth but we only get one life and we should not waste it on would if's, regrets, etc