View Single Post

Old 06-10-2011, 10:09 AM

I am in similar situation. We recently (last Nov.) moved from South Florida. I am elgible for Medicare, but my wife has another 5 years to go.
We both planned on working here for a while, me to keep from depleting my IRA (which is all I have besides SS) and my wife for health benefits.
My wife finally got a job about a month ago which has good benefits (health industry) but the pay is a little more than half what she made in Boca Raton.
I had so many interviews, I could almost answer the questions before they were asked. I decided to only work part time and use my gof cart for transportation, which limited me somewhat. Just found a part time job at exactly 45% the hourly rate I was paid in Pompano Beach, FL.
But!!!! We are extremely happy we made the move and would do it again - it is all worth living in paradise.
I am just pointing out that the pay scale here is pretty weak and most only hire part time to not have to pay benefits.
As far as taking early retirement goes if you have longevity in your immediate family (mother and father) it is best to wait as long as you can still work.
If you think early is better - i think about my father who retired at 55 and took Social Security at 62 - he is 91 now and wish he had waited.