View Single Post

Old 06-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Gold member
Cool

A different profession?

I consider myself the luckiest person in the world in respect to my profession. I was absolutely blindly led into it by the Hand of Providence! It turned out that I became an X-ray technologist. Maybe not a glamorous sounding thing to most people, but it sure had everything that I wanted. I loved studying the physics, anatomy, and physiology. I was fortunate to enter the field at the beginning of an explosion in area medical imaging technology. First they came out with C-arms tha could do flouro outside of the x-ray room. Then our hospital got one of the first CT scanners in our city, so I raised my hand to allowed to learn it. It was hard work, but again, I absolutely loved learning the technology so it was very rewarding. Then along came the first MRI scanners. Raised my hand again. It wasn't even FDA approved at the time and the average exam took close to 2 hours. Since then, the machines have gotten fast enough to do an exam in 20-40 minutes! Not to mention that these massive pieces of equipment can now see more detail and not just anatomy, but now function of the human body and mind. It has also been satisfying to be part of the saving of lives by being able diagnose disease earlier and earlier! Looking back, I see how privileged I was to be part of it all. We now have more MRI scanners in our city than the whole of Canada! We have people coming to the USA from all over the world to be able to access the cutting edge, life saving work that can be done by the phenomenal healthcare system that is ours to share! Ok...in short...I LOVE MY JOB!
Do anything different?
Taken life slower, not worried so much about how things would turn out, spent less money on stuff cause stuff just wears out, spent more time reading to my kids and baking cookies with them and listening to the hearts of my kids and spouse. I would have done more to help the helpless learn to help themselves, so that they could experience the joy of accomplishment, and the feeling of dignity after an honest day of hard work, and the freedom obtained by discipline and self reliance!
Do anything different?
Maybe a few things, but had I done everything "perfect" I would currently be a conceited, know it all, snob of a person who is out of touch with reality and certain unavoidable struggles of most other humans on this little blue planet. I am glad to be able to look back and see where I should have made a different choice, because I know that it is by the Grace of God that I made it this far...and I generally think that has made me an easier person for me to be have to live with