View Single Post

Old 06-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo35 View Post
Many sunrises and sunsets ago, as a young police officer, I remember the frequent protest of those who were cited for an assortment of infractions. It usually, as indicated above, involved a reference to who pays your salary. An old timer told me that when I was confronted with that line...to reach into my pocket for loose change not to exceed 50 cents and hand it to the violator. Follow-up with a brief, polite explanation that you are refunding what the offender contributed toward your salary. Today in The Villages, there are 80,000 residents. Average police salary maybe 30-40K....you do the math. When I hear in any context about "badge heavy tools" and the "folks who pay your salary", it brings back memories and a smile. Thank you.

A follow-up line by the miscreant might be, "Give me your name and badge number...I'm calling your chief." I would graciously comply and request that they also let the chief know what a good job I'm doing. Funny thing.......I was never called into the chief's office for a dress down. Years later, when I was the police chief, my "street" experience with handling complaints against police officers was a real asset in how I resolved them.

Another frequent disgruntled motorist retort was "Do you know who I am. I'll have your job." This usually came from some "connected" politician or political hack. My response was usually a polite smile and an explanation of how the violator could have my job. I would first explain that he would have to take a competitive exam with a thousand other candidates. Then he would have to pass a grueling physical. If he remained successful he would be required to complete six months of classroom and physical training usually run by those who served as USMC DI's. He would also have to complete the course on dealing with irate citizens. If he passed all that and was appointed, he might be lucky enough to get me as his FTO (Field Training Officer) for 3-6 months. Subject to my signing off on his performance and comprehension of the law and his job......he could have my job. Not once was I ever called on the carpet for being a smart ass cop. I probably would have plead guilty.

Tip for Villagers. Seriously, the hardest summons to write is to the driver that looks you in the eye and says "I know I was wrong", whatever you write me for, I know you're just doing your job and it's not personal." In most cases, not all, a warning would suffice.

Discretion on the issuance of summonses is built into the law. It would be impossible to enforce every law on the books equally without the discretion component. Accordingly, law enforcement generally administers "selective enforcement" to address emergent problems and circumstances. With limited resources, police administrators deploy their assets by prioritizing public safety needs. The needs are dynamic and in constant flux. Accordingly priorities are not constant and may change from month to month or even day to day. I do not know if this is relevant to the thread topic but, professionally...it's plausible.

Have a good day in the Villages.
I like what you said, cabo.