View Single Post

Old 06-15-2011, 08:14 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

LOL Mike (never a good thing to let someone like me know that you are a serious techie as opposed to just a tinkerer -- I may be whining for help soon hehe).

As to this thread, I'm not convinced I want to see it die. It brings up some very valid issues re drinking in a golf cart. I really don't care if the neighbor actually saw someone get a ticket for sitting in a cart and drinking. I care that people don't view golf carts as vehicles and can't seem to understand that drinking and driving don't mix, regardless of the mode of transportation.

I care that people see this as simply as a way for a town to make money, not as the preventative measure it is. They can't do a darn thing about people at the squares walking around and drinking, but they can if you're on the street. Yet, when people break this simple law and get a warning or a ticket, the first thing they do is scream they were doing nothing wrong. Sorry, it is against the law. It really is that simple.

Yes, TV is seen as a cash cow. Deservedly so. We pay the most taxes. There are jobs created because of TV. We provide entertainment. And so on and so forth. Without TV, this area would be nothing but a farm community with the towns suffering even higher unemployment, poor schools, bad roads, etc. However, that doesn't make Villagers exempt from the law. Believe it or not, I do know of Lady Lake officers who have ticketed and even arrested people in the town of Lady Lake for open containers in a parked vehicle. I even have heard (can't state as fact, though) of a bicyclist getting a DUI for drinking while on his bike in Summerfield. As I said, if I get pulled over for breaking a moving violation, I thank the officer for doing his job. I was in the wrong, not he. Some things in life should be argued and fought for, some things should not. An officer trying to get a message across about golf carts being vehicles and that driving a cart and drinking don't mix should be met with a hearty thank you, not complaints. (And why is it assumed he was anything but courteous when he gave this warning or handed out the citation?)

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein