View Single Post

Old 06-17-2011, 12:34 AM
n/a

Default Button My Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
There used to be a time in this nation when any man with a strong back and a good work ethic could support his family. That's what missing in this country and that's what people are really frustrated about. I don't think there's any good solution to that problem, and no matter what anyone is talking about when it comes to jobs, that's the "reality issue".
You have that right, Richie. I think I mentioned that I had some work done here at my house in The Villages recently. The entire crew was Mexican--none spoke even one word of English. The amount of work they accomplished in two days was simply amazing...and of very high quality. They worked from the time they arrived until the time they left. I didn't see them take a coffee break or stop for lunch. I was told later that their employer's business is so good that the crew has been working seven days a week for a couple months.

As I sat and watched them work I thought, any American older than 35 probably couldn't do the physical labor they accomplished. And younger Americans would refuse to work that hard.

Yep, they're supporting their families. Lots of Americans don't have to because they're getting unemployment compensation, food stamps or some other form of social welfare. Don't get me started on unemployment compensation. I just returned from a 'photo safari' vacation and one of the other couples on the trip freely bragged about still having almost 80 weeks left where they both were getting $450 a week in benefits and only had to "check in" on line once every two weeks to assert that they were looking for work. They were nicely dressed and both were using very expensive camera equipment. I had a hard time not saying something about what I thought of the whole concept of unemployment compensation.