View Single Post

Old 06-20-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Yikes! 30%... What was I thinking ? i think i must have gotten carried away with that post.... No, I would never tip 30%.

Point is, tipping is a strange custom. Some have said, they are not gonna stiff the wait staff because the food was bad. So what if the food is great and the wait staff is terrible. Do you take a tip to the kitchen?

Just saying....
Yes! I've tipped busboys who gave better service than the server.
That said, I basically overtip - some small effort to make up for the cheapskates. Can't tell you how many times I'll see a couple get up from a meal and throw a dollar on the table like it's 1975.

My personal pet peeve is poor service given to single diners. I am single and frequently dine alone. I expect the same service that the table of 2 next to me gets. Servers will occasionally ignore me - take my order, bring my food and disappear - and lavish attention on the table that they expect will leave a larger tip. When I dine alone, I always leave 30-40% so the server is not "penalized" for serving a single. The last time I received poor service (breakfast at Perkins, with my server fawning over the table next to me), I left a note on the table that said "Tip: Don't ignore single diners - they do dine with friends as well. For your monetary tip, see the cashier." When I paid the cashier, I put a $5 bill in the charity jar by the cash register and told the cashier to thank my server for her contribution.