View Single Post

Old 06-25-2011, 09:26 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
But who was it that declared "my way or the highway" in these negotiations? Yes, there were major disagreements between the Vice President and Cantor. But only one is still sitting at the table. The other closed off any further negotiations, took his ball and left the game. Is that what you mean when you say "ideals trump party consensus"? Is that what any of us mean or desire when we elect people who we expect to get something done for the good of the country? It sounds to me like, while you say you don't like totally confrontational and unyielding negotiations, in fact that's what you really do like.

Not me. I've never been in a successful negotiation yet where one party walked away from the table.
Cantor was there to discuss spending cuts. The VP won't discuss spending cuts without tax increases. Cantor says "no way, not gonna happen, we're only discussing spending cuts". Biden stands firm figuring the Republicans crack under the pressure, as usual. Cantor walks away and says, "call me when you're serious about spending cuts, and we'll continue".

Sounds principled to me. Why should Cantor allow himself to be bullied?