View Single Post

Old 06-27-2011, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Jonny or Johnny Marzetti...either spelling is correct.

Jonny Marzetti for some unknown reason is made by all the descendants of the GERMAN settlers in Central Ohio. It is a cassarole that was taken to every wedding, wake, christening and picnic when I was growing up. It is easy to make and absolutely delicious. (There is another version of it in THE JOY OF COOKING...I prefer this one. Every German cook adds sugar to any dish that she adds vinegar)

I know the recipe by heart.

Actually it probably should be called Hansy Marzetti.

1 pound beef browned with 1 medium onion diced. Add a small can of Hunts regular tomato sauce or a reg can of chopped tomatoes. Then add tablespoon of yellow mustard, a tablespoon of worcestershire sauce, two tablespoons of vinegar, and about 3/4 cups of brown sugar. Salt and pepper wouldn't hurt.

Boil noodles ...a half package to a whole one depending on the size of your group. Drain and add to the meat mixture in a cassarole dish. THEN add at least a half cup of parmesan cheese and a generous amount of grated cheddar cheese.

Serve at once or refrigerate and bake until hot later.

I guarantee you will like it.

Only in America would this fine dish with an Italian name be passed down from German ancestors.