Thread: Pool or not?
View Single Post

Old 06-28-2011, 10:45 AM

I do not know the cost of building a pool in the Villages yet, but we are planning to build a swim spa, or a nice large inground spa when we buy next year. We have had two pools in Florida, since 1986, and I couldn't live without something with water in it, in my yard. As there are so many nice neighborhood pools, and no spas except for the country clubs for the most part, we are going in that direction. We feel the neighborhood pools also may be a good social outlet, and wouldn't want to miss that aspect of them, as well. We have not found upkeep on a pool to be a reason to not have one. You buy an automatic pool cleaner that goes around the pool on a regular daily basis which keeps your pool sparkling clean, and if you get the salt system for making chlorine, even the cost of that is much reduced and we really like the feel of the water better. Just make sure you get a "screened pool", i.e., under a birdcage, because without a birdcage over your pool, you will be looking at spending a lot of time cleaning out the pool, even with an automatic pool cleaner. We have had to replace our filter system once since we moved in our present home 8 years ago. I think you would want to look at total cost of running the pool more than maintaining and cleaning it. So, you are probably looking at solar panels as well.

Lee and Richard in Tampa, for now.