Thread: Pool or not?
View Single Post

Old 06-28-2011, 01:33 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

We have had four homes in the midwest with pools. In every case we found we used them less and less as time went on (mostly for the kids and grandkids), and the maintenence was relentless. The one we used the most, enjoyed the most, and required the least maintenence was the smallest one, a "sports pool", which was four to five feet deep and made for water volleyball and badminton. The other three were full size pools with a diving board and deep end. Now, in a climate like TV, one may well use and enjoy a pool more.

The other side of the coin is financial - I bought all four homes with the pool already installed, and I paid no more for any of the homes than I would have paid for a comparable home with no pool, and perhaps even less. In other words the $25K plus that the original owner paid for the pool netted them nothing upon resale. Again, that may not be true in Florida as it was in Missouri, but it also limits the market for the home when you sell, as many people want nothing to do with a pool. If you plan on staying a long time and know that a pool will enhance your enjoyment of life, I say go for it. But go for it with your eyes and your checkbook wide open. As someone else stated you would almost have to include the cost of a birdcage in the equation.