View Single Post

Old 06-29-2011, 07:16 PM
Default Dogs can be off leash on your own property (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
I just read the POA paper that was delivered on my driveway. On page 13, a letter to the editor states the concerns of a person who went for a walk and saw 2 dogs in the yard who were barking at the people walking by the yard. The dogs did not come out of the yard because they most likely had the underground dog fencing around the yard. The writer stated he did not believe dogs should be left outside in the yard.

The response from the POA newletter was that they forwarded the question to Diane Tucker, District Operations Manager, who oversees deed compliance and her response was: "The Restrictive Covenants state the pet(s) must be kept on a leash. We would be happy to have our Deed Compliance Officer talk with the property owner if you provide us with an address."

Basically, this is saying that even though you have underground fencing, the dogs have to be leashed. Does this sound correct? I always thought that if dogs were not allowed out of your yard, they were allowed to be unleashed.
Pages 14-15-16 of the July POA Bulletin give Diane Tucker's response, which I THINK says the District has no jurisdiction over dogs off leash ON your property because that is not "use or appearance of 'real property'". All three counties' leash laws require dogs to be on leashes when off your property (we knew that).

I take this to mean that invisible fences are OK and dogs do not need to be on leash if they are contained on your own property.

What do you think?

If you don't have a copy, you can download the POA bulletin at http://www.poa4us.org/bulletins_file...etin201107.pdf