View Single Post

Old 07-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Platinum member
Default Great Debate

Before I say my piece (again), I would like to commend every poster on this thread for keeping this truly a respectable debate. Obviously, we all have differing opinions over a very broad range. Thank you all.

Now, whether or not Judge Perry is biased or Baez is incompetent is totally a perception. There have been times I felt JP was biased (as in allowing the computer generated image of the duct tape, but not the picture of an obviously pregnant Casey), sometimes not. Why was Ashton not chastised for his apparent transgression since they are off today as requested? Apparently, if JP read the report as he said he would, he found it as Baez said in his request for sanction. He did pretty much threaten Baez if his "problem" turned out to be imaginary.

Baez comes across as not really knowing what he's doing or is supposed to do. That, in and of itself, could be intentional...remains to be seen. There were many times when he seemed to be struggling and not able to get in the question and he was granted permission to consult with Cheney Mason. I don't know, of course, what Mason told him but he would either just drop it and move on to something else or try again and still have the same problems.

Jeff Ashton came across totally as the school bully. He may be smart but that is easily overshadowed by his arrogant, rude, sometimes whiney personality and style. Wrong as he (Matthew) was, it is not surprising that he was the one extended the "gesture of affection" (as JP called it). And, what was with all his gesturing and face making? The prosecution would have been much better served with Linda Burdick. She got her point across without all the fanfare and sarcasm....just all business.

The important thing to remember is that most, if not all, jurors are not well versed in the law and can only rely on very few things. The most important things are perception, common sense, and their ability to reason things out. I would venture to say that perception ranks pretty close to the top, if not the very top.

I agree that it seems Cheney Mason would have been better as the lead attorney, but remember that he also joined the team late. I don't know what the rule is regarding lead or even if there is one. I personally like Ms. Finnell over either Mason or Baez.

I do not understand the defense's opening statement and then no presentation of corroberation (sp?). I do think some of it could well be true, but certainly is not a basis for killing anyone (other than maybe the abuser). That usually doesn't happen, either. In fact, they often cover for them. The abuse was also alluded to in the jailhouse letters but could also be more fabrications. Robyn Adams was never called due to credibility issues. My only doubt that some contend that abuse didn't happen was when Casey got so upset with some of her mother's testimony. Apparently, one of the lip readers picked up on her blurting to one of her attorneys that she (Cindy) was protecting George and went on to say, "She never protected me". Did she try to tell Cindy at some point that abuse was going on and her mother refused to accept it? If so, it could be that she was so known to be a liar that Cindy just blew it off as another one.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."

Last edited by dillywho; 07-02-2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: speilling