View Single Post

Old 07-03-2011, 04:47 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

Seems like this thread had been hijacked to be a tipping discussion - but that is OK, it's an open forum and it goes where the participants want it to go. My question has to do with tipping in cash directly to the server or, as many do, adding it to the credit card bill - which is better? I personally usually add it to my credit card bill so I have a better handle on costs and a written receipt for the full amount. I sometimes wonder it the restaurant actually gives it to my server or if it goes into a "pool" that is split by all wait staff. I know that, on cruises, the "daily" tips added to your on-board charges for room steward, waiter, and assistant waiter and the 15% added to all shipboard charges like wine, drinks, are split among the entire service staff crew (but not the "real" sailors nor the entertainers, I don't think). So which is preferred by most - add it to the charge card bill or leave cash on the table?

For those mathematicians among us, do you include or exclude the tax on your bill when calculating the tip?