View Single Post

Old 07-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Sage

ALL of the things being mentioned are valid - they're all important: health/appropriate medical care, income/savings to support you, and so on. The risks people are willing to take and what priorities they place on things are where the balances take place. What makes sense for one person might seem completely illogical to someone else.

You can run all the math/spreadsheets and so on for these things but they're all predicated on assumptions: how long will I be in good health, will I need long term care, how long will I live, how much will the cost of living go up over time, should I start taking my social security as soon as I can, will Medicare still be around when I turn 65, etc. I feel the best anybody can do is be pessimistic about things (anticipate you'll live into your 90s, for example, not something like 80) and figure for somewhat of a 'worst-case' scenario (higher than anticipated inflation, for instance). Review and revise your game plan periodically.

Plan around those things and you've done about the best you can do. But most importantly: Enjoy yourself and what you have that is in your life.

Bill