View Single Post

Old 07-23-2011, 11:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman911 View Post
Once you enclose the lania with windows, doesn't it become a room? Kinda defeats the purpose of having a lanai and being outside. I like the idea of just adding a bird cage and leaving the lanai open.
That was my thinking until my wife convinced me that we were not getting enough use out of our lanai - either it was too hot, too cold, too wet or too dirty. So, we installed pocketable low-E glass sliding doors all around so that they can be fully opened in good weather to give the outdoor feel, but closed up the rest of the time. We also added a birdcage off one of the sides such that when the door to it is fully open there is a 12 foot wide opening - thus giving the feel that the lanai and birdcage are all one big outdoors room. For interior wall surface we could have chosen sheetrock since it is protected from the elements but opted for stucco to retain the "lanai feel". We opted to also have pocket sliders from the living room to the lanai thus allowing us to provide a sound barrier between the two rooms to allow two different TVs to be used or to provide a private retreat/ sleeping quarters for visiting relatives. We had a seperate "mini-split" heat pump put in and now this is the most used room in the house and I don't miss our hot/cold/wet/dirty lanai at all.