View Single Post

Old 07-26-2011, 04:38 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

You can actually build a wine cellar just about anywhere. In VA I have an actual cellar so I built it in the cellar. You install a cooling unit that maintains a temperature of 57 degrees with 50% humidity. You have to insulate and have vapor barriers to maintain that climate controlled storage. My current cellar holds up to 1200 bottles and is about 2/3 full.

In TV I am looking at several options. I have an alcove in the garage that would accommodate about a 500 bottle custom built cellar. However I am concerned that the heat in the summer and cold in the winter might cause the unit to over work to maintain proper control. Another option is in the home there is space going from the kitchen to the master bedroom to place a 400 bottle pre-built unit or to custom build one in the space.

Red Zinfandel is one of our favorite wines. Some really good ones are Rafanelli, Clinker Brick Old Ghost, Brazin (only $12 from Liquorama), Starry Night, and several others from both the Russian River and Lodi areas. Amador county also makes some good ones.