View Single Post

Old 08-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Skyguy,

I thought your poll was funny and not meant to be malicious. Heck, we all have some people we just click with, some posters posts we enjoy more than others and that's how it is here and throughout cyberspace.

When anyone new moves into an area, they are the new guy and sometimes it takes a while for those of any particular group to "share" with the newbie. It's not unique to the message board, to this community...it's like that everywhere. When we all lived in our various communities before this one, that same issue, being the new guy, was something that had to be dealt with and it was. We all have friends in our former communities...and it took a while. Might just take some time, here, too.

Generally, I've found that people will be generous and giving to new comers, though I'm sure there are some who could be more guarded when it comes to being outgoing and giving. Things could change with them...we have to give them the benefit of the doubt. Soon, they could be offering help to the new guy/gal and be happy doing so.

I didn't respond earlier because I was at the supermarket watching tomatoes ripen beyond belief....
Pooh, I hear what you're saying, especially about "new guys." When I joined I spent several weeks just lurking trying to familiarize myself with some members of the forum.

When I began posting I noticed that the doors of acceptance were not opening right away. At the same time I realized that this was the natrure of things... you know... caution by some folks who don't know you and don't open up to you until they get a feel for who you are and what your personality is. With some patience and understanding the doors started to slowly open and they still are quite nicely.

Unfortunately, a very few join do so with ill intent or with the idea that everybody's arms are and should be wide open, but thankfully that's not the nature of most new people. With the latter, if they meet up with a few that are not so open and ready to send out the welcome wagon, they sometimes feel hurt and take it personally, and without realizing it, put up a foot and act like a member of a swat team, proceeding to attempt to break down the door without having enough patience for acceptance to occur naturally. Wrong move! It only results in bad feeling and manifests itself in reactions that they don't expect, and as such, interpet as unfriendly.

Anyway, most anyone can be accepted by others and feel like they're welcome if they are patient and don't push. However, display a negative or pushy personality, then it becomes hard for them to ever be accepted. (Note that there are NO individuals, intended or implied, in what I just stated) I have noticed though that here on TOTV that many veterans of the forum can bring themselves above all that and be warm and welcoming! And that's a feather in their cap!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"