View Single Post

Old 09-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
Face it, two lane roundabouts are a stupid idea to begin with. And with over twenty of them in a relatively small geographic area populated by tens of thousands of senior drivers with diminished driving skills and reaction times, it borders on ridiculous.

If you really want to fix the problem you should ban together to approach your county reps to get these “killer” roundabouts rebuilt. Barriers could be placed so that the right lane can only be used for a right turn and traffic could proceed in that lane without having to even stop. The left lane would be used for all other exits and would be a single lane only.

The mouths of the exits would need to be widened some to allow tractor trailers to negotiate the roundabouts, but there is already enough landscaping in these roundabouts to accommodate this as far as I can see.

I don’t believe that this change would result in more congestion at the roundabouts. After all, the way it is now, you must wait funtil both lanes are free of any traffic before you can enter the roundabout, even if you are just making a right turn.
Or, a much cheaper solution would be to use the police patrols that are used to give tickets to golf carts that are going a couple of MPH too fast and have them instead give tickets to those who improperly use the roundabouts. I suspect that most of the problem is not diminished reflexes but the "I'll do it the way I want because it makes sense to me" mentality of the drivers. If they received a ticket or a warning about their error, they may start to obey the guidelines and the problem would be solved.