View Single Post

Old 09-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
The last time I got a speeding ticket (over 30 years ago) it was because I didn’t notice that the speed limit had dropped from 50 to 35. And how many of you out there have glanced down at your speedometer only to find that you and all the other cars around you are speeding. You didn’t get a ticket, but you should have even though you had no motivation to do so.

And as for motives in the roundabouts, park by a roundabout exit some day and count the number of vehicles that exit without signaling. You’ll be amazed. You think that’s because they don’t know that they’re supposed to signal when turning?
If the lack of turn signals were the crux of the problem I would agree with you. However, while turn signals may help in some circumstances, the reality is that the problems occur because people who are essentially parallel with each other cross into each other's lane. This is caused by improper lane usage with each person thinking they are in the right. Because of the proximity of the cars to each other, turn signals are at best of secondary value since you can't see the other's signal when they are right next to you.

I'll agree that the roundabouts could be much better designed, but to change them at this point would be prohibitively expensive. Since we clearly have more police resources than we need (witness the silly crackdown on golf carts), these resources could be used to ticket/warn drivers using the roundabouts in the wrong manner. Every person who recognizes that what they thought was the right procedure is actually wrong becomes one less accident waiting to happen.