View Single Post

Old 09-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
Since I don't live there, I don't know how often property in TV is reassessed by the taxing authorities. Here in my county in NC they reassess property every 8 years for tax purposes. If your last assessment was done during the "boom years" and the value of your property has significantly decreased since that assessment you might have a case for a tax reduction. They would simply have to compare the assessed value of your home to the assessments being placed on new homes being sold today.

That being said, you don't need Equitax or anybody else to do this. I am sure your taxing authority has a process defined that you can do this appeal by yourself.
I agree. If you go to your local Assessor's web site there should be information and instructions for appealing your assessment. I believe they have to show this information to property owners.

Granted, it may not be easy to understand or to do, but you can do it yourself and not have to hire anyone. The thing I noticed was the Assessors office handles appeals all of the time and in effect you are operating on their turf and it isn't easy unless you have a very strong case.

It took me a couple of tries before I understood what is needed to be effective with our Assessor's office.