View Single Post

Old 10-18-2011, 08:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryV412 View Post
Hey all....whats a good cold hardy palm? I like the big canary palms....but are they cold hardy? What about queen palms or traveler palms? Thanks!
Hi Gary ... I learned so much about palms by googling "cold hardy palms", there are so many varieties of palms. There is much to learn, for instance, Pindo palms are very cold hardy but they bear fruit, which may be problem if you're not around in the summer to clean up. For us, I was afraid the fruit would attract rodents. Robellini Palms are adorable, but few owners are willing to do the frost sheets, and you often see them being replaced!

There are many websites with complete lists and pictures. if you visit a nursery, like Fairfield Farms or Terrascape, both on CR 301, there are lots of trees to be viewed and lots of competent Professionals to give advice.

Queen palms are extremely popular in TV, and are cold hardy to a point. But they can be damaged by an extreme hard frost, although they'll usually survive the damage. My personal favorite palm tree is a Sylvester Palm.