View Single Post

Old 10-25-2011, 12:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlegirl View Post
I sense adequate care, not necessarily excellent care. I researched heavily for an internist, and met with her last week for the first time. I found her to be all I had hoped for and more, but what seems illusive is what will happen if... if I need more than a fabulous internist?

I was fortunate to work for over 20 years at Mount Sinai Medical Center on Miami Beach in administration. As I look back at my years there and concurrently their growth as a major medical center, I so wish the Morse
and Schwartz family had looked to an affiliation with them...a partnership if you will...to provide a Center for Eexcellence for the Aging here.
.....A medical center like Mount Sinai could have a presence here, if asked. But, it would take asking and the mix of for and not for profit policies and procedures. What a bold and striking move to look at over 80,000 (and growing) elderly with the opportunity for affordable, qualitative, and outstanding resources.

This is the only area in which I see The Villages as a planned urban development having missed the mark. On the other hand, the standard of care practices required of these medical center facilities might not mesh with current staff of the hospital here, therein lies the rub. A non certified Board physician might not be allowed to practice in the scenario I outlined, and therein lies the rub for some of our physicians here. I only know I was
fortunate to be a part of a large team of the best physicians and medical experts I've ever known, and it is worrisome to me, if needed, to try and get that care here. But, I'm going to try.
What you're talking about is why the affiliation with USF and the health study was formed, and why Moffitt Comprehensive Cancer Center has come here.
http://villages.health.usf.edu/

As for possibly needing a "more fabulous" internist, that is affected a lot now by the fact that hospitalists are used in more and more hospitals, and they do the in-hospital care. We have seen some of the most excellent, experienced and wise internists quit doing private practice and take a hospitalist position because they are fed up with the headaches of running a practice and trying to make ends meet. Even with a "more fabulous" internist, the hospitalist may or may not be fabulous and skilled and wise.

In the end, we're always ready to seek another opinion in Gainesville, Tampa, Orlando, Miami, or wherever.