Thread: Girl Talk
View Single Post

Old 01-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac9 View Post
Barefoot, I can empathize with you. 2 years ago I had a knee replacement. 8 days later I was rushed by ambulance to the hospital due to bi-lateral pulmonary emboli...13 in the left and 11 in the right. Recuperation is slow. I finally had a Celect vena cava filter put in to collect any residual clots. Been fine since then...just took a few months. Hang in there.
Mac9, thanks so much for the words of encouragement. I also have bi-lateral pulmonary emboli, and stupidly, I had chest pains for eight days before I went to Emergency. I ignored the pain until it was non-stop and excruciating. They told me at the hospital I was lucky to be alive.

Ladies, listen to your bodies. If you're having chest pains, get to a hospital!

In my case, the doctors in ER considered filters, but opted instead for blood thinners (warfarin, which is rat poison). I was in hospital for eight days trying to get my dosage at the correct level. But now I'm stable. I sure don't like taking warfarin every day, but it's a necessary evil. In four months I'll be able to stop taking it, yay.

You're right that recuperation is slow. As we get older, I guess we can expect our bodies to start breaking down. Our best defence is a positive attitude. I try to focus on the fact that I'm lucky to be alive. And I know that with the Florida sunshine, my recuperation will be much faster, so I'm hoping to get to TV before the end of January!