View Single Post

Old 01-30-2012, 07:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagesFlorida View Post
You don't have to be hacked in order for your e-mail address to be used in a crime. All you have to do is have one of your contacts forward an e-mail from you and NOT clean it up before they send it along. I have repeatedly begged folks on my contact list to use BCC when sending an e-mail to me, if other folks are included in that same e-mail. Some have respected my wishes and some have said they can't find "BCC" in their e-mail program. I cringe every time I get an e-mail forward from someone, and I see all of those addresses, ripe for the picking if that "forward" winds up in the wrong hands. And, of course, you are correct that many businesses that we patronize over the internet can get hacked into at any time. I only use BCC when sending along an e-mail forward or when I send an e-mail to more than one person. How can I feel good about putting all of my friends' and family's e-mail addresses out in cyberspace for anyone to grab?
Cleaning up e-mails was one of the 1st things my kids taught me when we first got a computer. It amazes me how many folks do NOT BCC theirs---even folks I thought would know better. They also taught me to delete those (----) that preceed sentences from the forewarded text. The computer person that had to help us clean up our computer after our hacker did his deed said that even sending those cute little spammy things we all get is how hackers get their contacts. I've begun to delete these and not send them out!!