View Single Post

Old 02-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylake1 View Post
I am glad that someone had an experience other than the disaster I had. Went to ER with major arrythmia. Had to wait a while before MD showed up. In meantime nurse put IV in my arm and neglected to remove touriquet. When MD finally did arrive he was ready to leave and wanted nurse to inject meds to stop arrythmia on her own. Both nurse and I had to protest and he stayed while they injected me and my heart returned to normal. Were admitting me so I had to wait amost three hours for a bed. Feeling discomfort in my arm after a couple of hours I called nurse who flushed out my IV. When pain didn't stop and my arm was getting numb made her come back and it was then she realized that the tourniqet had not been removed. It was a nightmare for me and to make matters worse the shift was having some kind of food event and everyone kept going back and forth to get goodies. Next time I was in distress I went to another hospital.
I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience at TV hospital. But look at the bright side: You're still alive! It is estimated that about 195,000 people die every year due to medical mistakes while in the hospital. And that's just the number of deaths for hospitals. If you include medical errors at clinics, nursing homes, doctor's offices, in home care, prescription drugs from pharmacies etc., it's over 500,000 deaths per year. (It's about the equivalence of 3 jumbo jets crashing every day and killing 1,500 people.)

Anyone interested in this subject should read the following book: "Top Screwups Doctors Make and How to Avoid Them" I just started reading the book yesterday and I can't wait to get back to it.

The last thing Villagers should do, in my opinion, is go around thinking or trusting that everything will somehow be okay. Doctors and nurses with the best of intentions can make mistakes. So your best mind-set is one of caution: Ask lots of questions to make sure the right things are being done.

Last edited by Villages PL; 02-11-2012 at 12:23 PM.