Thread: Hummingbirds?
View Single Post

Old 02-17-2012, 07:50 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosygail View Post
I enjoy feeding and watching hummingbirds here in northern Indiana in the spring and summer. When we are in TV will I be able to feed hummers?
Anybody in TV have experience with hummingbirds? When are they in the area?

I am thinking that there might not be many since there are so few trees for them to nest in TV.

Any info will be appreciated.
So few trees? You must just be looking at pictures of homes in the new areas. There are trees galore here. And things grow so fast in this climate that even newly planted trees will be a nice size in about 5 years. We have a live oak that was your typical 10 ft, 3 inch trunk new tree planted summer of 2006. It is now about 30 feet tall and the trunk is about 7 inches in diameter (not circumference).

Although I have a hummingbird feeder out, have never seen here, and I do have several hummingbird-attracting flowering plants, including native coral honeysuckle vine. We so far get mourning doves (lots), mockingbirds (they like the homemade suet I put in hanging pine cones), palm warblers, house finches, cardinals. Last year I saw bluebirds on our CYV wall twice. I see other birds here and there around the Villages. Saw some type of hawk or kestrel get a dove once.

It does take a couple of years in new construction areas to see much bird activity, and if you don't have a good size tree and other cover plants you might not see as much activity. My neighbor across the street doesn't see much but he only has a palm tree. Never see birds in the palm trees. The mockingbirds also like some fruiting shrubs and my ripening tomatoes - mostly the ones they can reach from the ground.