View Single Post

Old 02-19-2012, 01:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyjon431 View Post
Thanks for the great info, Barefoot. My wife and I considered an invisible fence, but we were reluctant for the same reasons you cited. We couldn't bare the thought of inflicting pain on our little guy.

Was it difficult to train your dogs? Do you think we can teach an old dog (ours is 10) new tricks (or at least to respect the boundaries)?
Cappyjon, come over and see how our fence works. Our little dog, Biggins, was ten years old when we got the fence. He weighs ten pounds. So no worries about teaching old dogs new tricks.

It is not difficult to train the dogs, but it takes time and consistency, and is the most important part of the process. We trained every day for a week. I'd guess we trained each dog three times a day, for about five or ten minutes a time. (The invisible fencing is in the front yard as well as the back). I called Dog Watch several times during the week. They knew I was a nervous nelly. And Dog Watch sent Even over as often as I wanted, just to reassure me that everyone was on track.

Even when ducks came up the hill to taunt my big dog LolliPop, she woudn't chase them. If you'd like to see a demonstration of how the fence works, please PM me.