View Single Post

Old 02-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Sage

Your Social Security contribution was about 7% of your pay. Chances are (a Johnny Mathis song?) that your lifetime benefits from Social Security will greatly out do your contributions.

I know in the case of my 20% VA disability check that it has paid me a heck of a lot more in the 40 years that I have been out of the Army than all the monthly salary checks I received during the 3 years in the Army.

My mother received survivor benefit check for about 30 years from the government after my father passed away. I am sure that was more than he earned during his time as a government employee.

Figure it out. If you worked for 40 years with an average salary of $35,000, you would have contributed $105,000 (at 7.5%) to FICA. You start collecting at age 62 and live until 80. That is 18 years. The first $5,800 per year is what you contributed. I read the average SS pay check is $1600 per month. That is $19,200 per year or $13,400 MORE than what was contributed. No, your Social Security benefits are far more than what you ever paid into the system! Social Security is a form of government welfare! Quit complaining about welfare until you start returning all the excess of your Social Security check.