View Single Post

Old 03-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Gold member
Default racoons can have rabies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
We have a dog door in our house in Seattle and just are having two installed at our Mission Hills villa (one in the Florida Room and then through the birdcage). One night in Seattle at 3 am the dogs starting barking crazily. We thought we were being robbed. My husband got up to see what was going on, I grabbed the phone to call 911 if he so instructed or did not answer me. Then he said there was a racoon in the house eating the dog food. He got a broom and opened the door and it ran out. Then he thought he saw its reflection in the window but it was a second racoon in the farm room freaking out and he again got the broom and opened the door and it ran out. For a long time we started putting the cover on the dog door at night, then we relaxed about it and it has been ok since. One of the things is to pick up any dog dishes of food at night so they are not attracted to the smell of the food. You can always put a dog door in and put the cover on at night when animals tend to sneak in. With two big dogs, I do not expect too many critters to come in. But it is a risk.
you must never fool with a racoon as they can have rabies. if you get saliva or a scratch from them you are in big trouble.You would have to get a very painful series of shots in your stomach. They are not to be fooeld with.