View Single Post

Old 04-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Sage
Default Battery Minder First Impressions

I have had the Battery Minder model number 48021 on my 8 6volt pack for a couple of weeks and my initial reaction is positive. I have a some first impressions to share. These are my opinions and should not be interpreted as anything more. If others have different or additional opinions, it would be great to hear them. I am tumbling towards the purchase of Battery Minders for our carts.

I really like being able to plug in the Battery Minder instead of the bulk charger when I have just run the cart for 10 to 20 minutes. I always felt the bulk charger was a bit of overkill for small trips.

I really am not a fan of the wiring connector design of the Battery Minder. There are two separate connectors from the unit, one going to a heat sensor (left in picture) and one going to a split cable (right in picture) which connects to the + and – of the pack. I would much prefer a single plug that had all three. In addition this plug should be mountable to the cart like any charger connector. When I come home at night, I would like to plug in one connection and be done with it instead of finding the two connectors at each end, untangling everything and getting them plugged it. In battery tender mode this is of little consequence, but for a daily charger little things like this could make it better IMO. I suspect it will be on my Dad and my to do list to make such a connector for us in the future.
The Villages Florida
I note the pack voltage is around 52.4 when I first detach Battery Minder. This is about one and a half volts higher than 100% charge. I assume this is normal and will read more about that. I am not sure if this is a steady state voltage during maintenance mode or not, time will tell.

As I said, so far so good. I know for sure my batteries will be in a better place this summer.