View Single Post

Old 05-19-2012, 07:43 AM
Veteran member

I met several artists from oldies groups but the only two I remember are Tommy James from the Shondells (I Think We’re Alone Now) who was an absolute egomaniacal jerk, and The Del Vikings, (Come Go With Me) who were lovely. I Catered several oldies concerts at a theatre years ago and the groups were from before my time, so I didn’t really know them or their music. I do remember one of them commenting that they enjoyed my treating them like “real people” and my replying that it was because I had absolutely no idea who they were. I was told by the theatre manager NOT to say that any more.
I sort of 'met' John Denver. My girlfriends and I were at a concert of his in the 70s and the theatre double sold the seats so they sat us off to the side where we couldn't see the big screen of nature pictures Denver used to accompany his music. After the concert as he was leaving, he saw us and asked us why we were there. We told him about the mix up in our seats with our tickets and he apologized. He offered to make it up to us and asked us to come to a party with him. We were 19 and in college and my roommate drove and wouldn't go. I had no way to convince her so I had to decline. After reading his biography years later and about how wild he really was, it's probably safter that we didn't go. I don't consider it really meeting because it was only a brief chat.