View Single Post

Old 06-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
You will if you stay healthy!

I laughed at the pot luck thread, in fact I posted a few vegan dishes

Our diet is very diverse there are as many different things we eat as you.

It is not plain or boring, I guarantee that if we didn't tell you it was vegan you would never know the difference.

Yes we go out to eat, you be surprised at how accommodating the chefs can be be when you ask. The easiest is Thai food.

We only switched about 15 months ago, but prior to that hadn't had red meat in over 10 years.

Had plenty of fish, chicken, turkey etc. always watching what we ate never over weight but always thought about losing a few lbs.

Never had cardiac issues just noticed over the last 10 years my BP creeping up and my Dr saying what do you expect your getting older take 10mg, then it was 20 then 30 than 40 to get the BP normal.

It was that last increase that ****ed me off with all other parameters normal, you name it I had the test the answer-just take the BP you'll be fine.

After 4 1/2 months I no longer take any meds BP 110/70.

There are many other benefits in the positive way we look & feel.

Am I telling anyone to do eat a plant based diet, nope, if you care to read the documentation you can can make an informed decision on your own.

I will suggest one thing to see which is the best selling documentary on Amazon last year Forks over Knives that $15 may be the best investment in your retirement.

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #107 in Movies & TV
#1 in Movies & TV > DVD > Special Interests
#1 in Movies & TV > DVD > Documentary
I just noticed this post for the first time. I've read all of the books you've been mentioning and seen the DVD......plus others in the past, such as King Corn about how all the farms were bought out by the big corn syrup producers and how it is literally in all of our processed foods nowadays.

I get the science behind it all.

Unless one lives alone and only has to think for themselves, it is really hard to "sell" the entire family on this regime.

They may also understand it, but not too many want to walk the walk.

We have a vegetarian neice who for the past twenty years has shunned all meat products (somewhat as a rebellion against her dad who sells meat)........the old story, "I won't eat anything with a face".

Well, I've asked her what she actually eats now that she is a young mom of two babies. She eats those soy products which are made into fake hamburgers and fake meat. I don't find them very appetizing.

To get her Vitamin B12, she said she eats GREEN BEANS but that is the only kind..according to her. She doesn't like any other legumes, such as our grandparents made into various soups, etc. No lentils, no white cannelini beans, no pea soup, etc.

Macaroni and cheese........broccoli, soy products.....that's about it.
I don't consider that a healthy diet.

I do "get" the kale and yams and legumes and no dairy and no meat.
Lots of fruits and veggies......no wheat..........in a nutshell. Yes to nuts.

But sometimes, one does crave a hamburger on the grill.
Do you bring your own food when invited to a barbecue?
Or, just eat the corn on the cob and a green salad?
No pasta salads, etc. No mayo, so no potato salad?

Crudites with dip get a little old after awhile.

Our adult kids eat very healthy and of all the stuff you seem to love.
But they also eat a wide variety of other foods that are on the "no no" list, but in moderation.

They run, they bike, they hike, they walk, etc.........rock climb.
You name it. This generation is very into outdoor activities.

I , as a child, loved white bean and escarole soup with lots of garlic and onions, etc........our kids also like the "peasant soups".........but still every now and then everyone craves a hot dog (as someone else said) or a hamburger...let's make that a cheeseburger.

Every now and then isn't going to kill anyone.

We were just chatting this morning about all of our friends who have died of cancer......or who have it.........they all were excellent athletes, into competitive cycling in Europe and U.S........ate like RABBITS........bone thin..........(so there shoots the obesity theory) , shunned fried foods.......shunned my eggplant parm recipe as the eggplant had to be breaded and fried. We are still alive. I don't make it but once or twice a year if one of the adult kids requests it during a visit. I try to avoid the "nightshades" myself, but they love it.

As also mentioned........a lot of it has to do with genetics.
As my mom would say, "when your number is up, it's up".

p.s. The thing I'm more concerned about than animal "fat" is the hormones and antibiotics that are fed to them.

p.s. 2: Re the Thai food which our kids also love at their favorite hometown Thai restaurant......
we used to love Chinese food, however, lately , it seems the chef there is overdosing with soy sauce
even though we say no M.S.G..........what ever they are using does cause swelling and inflammation.
So, unfortunately, there will be no more Chinese food. (I'd been trying the vegetarian versions of our favorites).