View Single Post

Old 06-24-2012, 12:34 PM

We bought a 47" Samsung LED tv about 4 years ago and the picture has been great. However in the last couple of months when you turn it on, it clicks multiple times before actually powering up. It has gotten worse and now is about 15 clicks before starting. On a blog about Samsung tv's this appears to be too common a problem and they have a secret warranty program for selected models to replace the power board. Unfortunately our model is not covered even though it exhibits the same symptoms so I don't think I'd get a Samsung again, perhaps a Sharp with Quattro color. Sharp and Samsung share a production facility for the large LCD screens but each make their own electronics and LED light source/technology.
One thing about the plasmas, they are generally 600hz which makes motion much smoother to watch. Sporting events like football, basketball, motor sports really show the difference in the higher refresh rates with much smoother pictures, less jagged moves.
I used to be very concerned about glare on the shiny screens from outside light sources but the pictures are so bright there is very little effect from it.