Thread: Solar Attic Fan
View Single Post

Old 07-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Veteran member

Jane,
Mine is only one opinion, and I certainly do not intend to criticize any other business here. To answer your question, yes, I do think their solar tubes are a quality product. If I were having one installed by someone, I think I would strongly consider them, as they do a lot of work here, and I would assume they would stand by their work.

I have seen too many times when someone hires a fly by night, unlicensed, uninsured contractor who does substandard work and by the time problems show, they are long gone. Doing business with a company that has strong roots in the area is almost always a good idea.

My personal home faces 115 degrees southeast and has a floorplan that seems to lend itself to having bright, open rooms. I have neighbors whose homes seem to just be dark......then they have solar tubes installed and they look great and change the whole look of the house. I like solar tubes MUCH better then regular skylights, which can be prone to their own set of problems.

So to answer your question, my personal opinion is Solar Tubes can be a nice addition to homes that have dark rooms. They should be installed properly by trained people to minimize the chance of a roof leak.

I personally would NOT buy solar powered vent fans for my home for the reasons stated in my earlier posts.

I hope that helps.

Respectfully, Frank