View Single Post

Old 07-06-2012, 08:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Jimbo. I know that you are a huge fan of the plant based diet but some of your statements like...it can slow down cancer are just plan controversial and dangerous, I think.

Antioxidants found in plants can protect your body from beginning cancer but it can't stop it if it has begun. I don't know how anyone could say that it slowed it down. There are so many forms of cancer and each is a separate illness.

The plant based diet is not as easy for most people to sustain for the long haul as a sensible diet low in fat, low in meat, and with a lot of whole grains and lots of vegetables. A healthy diet such as espoused by Weight Watchers is an excellent one to follow for the long haul.

Add age appropriate exercise and see your doctor for tests every six months. If you take supplements tell him what they are and listen to his advice on taking them.

It is good that you find the plant based diet is keeping you healthy but it is pretty extreme for most of us.
I knew strict vegetarians / vegans who died of cancer in their 60's and who had the best treatment at Mount Sinai Hospital in N.Y.C. as well as Dartmouth in N.H. Again, they did everything right. I saw their food choices in action. They were very self disciplined and avoided all the less healthy foods.

Veggies are great. I love them. However, other components do play a role in longevity.......or early death.

Maybe the folks who believe in reincarnation are luckier....they don't worry about death and dying so much........knowing they will return.

Perhaps some of our antagonists are evolved souls who know everything.
All I can relay is what I've seen.

In theory it all sounds super great.

However, it does NOT work for everyone with predisposition to various diseases.