Thread: Solar Attic Fan
View Single Post

Old 07-06-2012, 09:35 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
My understanding is a cooler attic is a cooler house? No one is hanging out in their attics so I am just trying to ascertain the exact reason to put anything in the attic to keep it cool, aside from obvious reasons to keep air circulating to maintain the things you keep up there? I am getting a little lost on this discussion and I scored 15/100 on mechanical reason so I am struggling with all this.
Yes, a cooler attic is a cooler house. Even with all the insulation mentioned in previous posts, the attic heat (as much as 150 degrees or so) will transfer down the studs into the walls, so less heat is less transfer. The answers can be simple but a lot depends on the type roof you have (hip or gable). I have on my house and believe in the powered attic fan (or gable fan as appropriate) and think the solar fan does not have enough power to pull enough air out, especially if you have ridge vents. My fan is both manual and automatic so I can control it. I have also sealed my roof with white elastomeric sealant and that alone has reduced the temps by at least 20 degrees on the hottest of days. The roof fans, solar or powered, will not work as well if you have the ridge vents for the reasons posted. Absent the roof ridge vent, they will pull from just the soffits and produce better air flow if the proper cfm (cubic feet of air movement) is obtained. Back in the 50's or so, most Florida houses had white roofs when there was no air conditioning. I know as I grew up in Florida then. It was the standard. Apologies if this has added to the confusion!
In reality, they're different!