Thread: Our hair
View Single Post

Old 07-17-2012, 09:30 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolSells View Post
I used to do an overall color to cover grey and highlights. I grew weary of the roots every three weeks and decided to go grey. Also, my hair wouldn't hold the "box" color any more. Took about 8 mos to totally grow out as I have shoulder length hair. Benefits: no hair color $$ and your hair grows in silky smooth just like when you were younger. Downside for me was that it grew in with lots of different colors and of course, the grey centered around my face. Not the color of the beautiful models on the "Going Grey" websites. Plus, I just felt older when I looked in the mirror.

My stylist came up with the idea of foregoing the overall color and adding two tones of highlights. It blends with the greys and the roots are almost unnoticeable. I can go 6 mos without recoloring and the sun doesn't fade the color.

Just my solution. Might work for you.
I spent years coloring and perming my hair. Finally my hairdresser said,"You can have a Perm or a Color, not both." So I went with a color. I always went with a "lady-like" light brown. Then I began to notice that the color was changing to a not-so-lady-like brassy blonde after only a few weeks.

The brown was fading and the white hair was showing through. So I gritted my teeth and let it all grow out. Turns out I have pretty white in the front that shades to dark in the very back. I get compliments all the time! Who knew?

But there's more. Remember I mentioned all the perms? Well, my hair is now curly! It was stick straight all my life. Now at 68 it turns curly! I wash it. Put some moose on it. Let it dry. Comb it out and I'm done. The hair gods have blessed me.

So, Joaniesmom, what's the point? Ladies, give it a try. What's the worst that can happen? You won't like it. The best is that you will be freed from those overpriced "stylists."

Good luck!

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!