View Single Post

Old 07-17-2012, 09:48 AM
Default Results of ignoring Modified Phase III Restrictions

This issue has been touched upon a little but I asked for and received more info from the Regulatory folks at the water conservancy district that covers Sumter County (most of The Villages). A couple of days ago my lawn care company visited to check my irrigation system since the grass is starting to look a bit over-stressed. The technician said it was working fine but he on his own volition changed the Hunter Controller to irrigate twice per week. I said no that can't happen since we are under a Modified Phase III restriction now which limits us to only once per week. The technician said not to worry about that, every one irrigates at least a couple of times a week and anyway it's my lawn, not the water conservancy people's lawn. Well, I told him to set it back to the legal restriction settings. Does anyone else remember the television show in the late 50s that usually ended with Mom saying to the kid, "Two wrongs don't make a right"? I wrote to the water conservancy to find out what the results would be if I were caught violating the restrictions. Here is the email I just received today (July 17).

"If the irrigation company is adjusting the systems to water on the wrong day and/or time, it would ultimately be the responsibility of the homeowner to have the system readjusted or risk a fine of up to $500 (for each occurrence). If the technician caused the fine, by adjusting the system to water incorrectly, then the technician or the technician’s company may be responsible in a civil proceeding. If you would like to provide us with the company name and address, we are willing to send a letter, letting them know that they causing their customers to risk a fine by adjusting their irrigation systems incorrectly. If you should have any additional questions or concerns, please reply to this email or call us at 1-800-848-0499."

I know a lot of TOTV people will blow this off as "It is my lawn and it costs a lot more than $500 to replace the grass." I won't argue with that but I'll bet if you get caught once, you will be reinspected often again. Just saying. . .