View Single Post

Old 08-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by su2009 View Post
In general, I love The Villages, but here is what I miss from living in a big city:
1. In The Villages, there's no big malls with big upper-end chain retailers like Macys, Nordstrom, Sports Authority. Ocala has a tiny Macys and a small Dick's Sporting Goods, but you really have to go to Atlanta or Miami if you want to find the big upper-end retailers with good sales.

6. No international airport; you have to go to Orlando or Tampa to fly out on most airlines.----
We just got back from the Florida Mall in Orlando, I measured the drive and it was exactly 55 miles to our house. They have Nordstrom, Dillards, Macys, Pennys, Sears and Saks Fifth Avenue. I also found the Dick's in Ocala is bigger and better than the Dick's by Millennium Mall in Orlando.

The Airport is in Orlando, that's not that far. I think in most large metropolitan cities you have to go a ways to get to an airport. In Baltimore we lived in the north suburbs and it was an hours drive for us to BWI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy
1. narrow political opinions in the daily sun.
2. dog owners who think that everyone else's lawn is a giant dog toilet.
3. unsafe golf cart drivers (really, do you have to hold your dog/grandchild on your lap?)
4. smokers in the town squares; they should be relegated to across the street areas. not within the squares themselves.
5. cigar smoking.......totally prohibited...everywhere!
6. lack of interesting non-chain restaurants.
7. minimal public parks within the villages.
8. exercise trails....only one in the villages....really!
9. more control over ugly lawn ornaments, and hideous oranments attached to the house....have you seen the eagle on nash loop in hemingway?
and that's it for today.
#1 unless you belong to the tea party, I would have to agree.
#2 we live in a CYV so we really don't have that problem
#3 that's true, especially when grandkids drive and people don't realize how much harm could come to their pet if they had to stop quickly.
#4 I agree completely
#5 same as #4
#6 I agree again
#7 doesn't effect me too much
#8 I walk and ride my bike on my neighborhood side streets, so doesn't effect me
#9 haven't see the eagle, but we have a CYV at the entrance of our villa section that in the garden instead of a professional retaining wall, they use large rocks they must of found in a field to line their gravel, looks like something a 12 year old would of made. Then they removed their live shrubs and replaced with potted artificial plants.