Thread: HELP Hot Garage
View Single Post

Old 08-10-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Anything short of an air conditioner, the best you're going to get is the same temperature as it is outside. That's why I went with the screen, also if you're in the garage working or doing laundry you'll need the extra daylight. I thought about the motorized screens, but if you're outside working in the yard it's too much trouble to keep putting it up and down. We went with the horizontal sliders, so you can open one section go and close it behind you. Also it's much cheaper, we paid $850 installed for our 12' door opening.

The Villages Florida
This is exactly what I did also. Make sure screen is white solar as John shows in his pic and not the traditional see thru black as the solar screen reduces the heat and provides exterior privacy while allowing you to see out. If you open your attic entry the hot air will rise into the attic and with a solar roof vent it will help suck the hot air out of the garage, but this added step has its own set of drawbacks so I stick with the screen. Garage is still hot but about 10-15 degrees cooler than outside air, especially when sunny.