Thread: Assisted Living
View Single Post

Old 08-19-2012, 03:50 PM

My mom is 86 and starting to lose ground. She is still living at home, 3 doors down from my condo and still functioning well enough to not need assisted living.

Mom is the reason that I am not packing my bags for the Villages right now. I hate Michigan winters and can work any where there is a high speed internet connection and I have my laptop. However, everything she knows is here. Her Doctors, her friends, etc. It would be incredibly selfish of me to uproot her and take her away from everything familiar just for my own benefit. I will get to the Villages, it just may be a while yet.

I am a middle kid and the only sibling working full time. My sister lives 3 hours north and my brother, who is living in North Carolina currently, is a trainwreck. Or as I like to tell people, I am an only child with two siblings.

I gave mom two options recently as things were starting to overwhelm ME. Either we have someone come in for a few hours each week or every other week to do the linens, laundry, ironing and perhaps make a meal or two, or we are looking at Independent Living. Mom is still mobile enough right now to go that route. With a full time, stressful job, I just cannot do it all without help.

I found someone who is willing to come in and is reasonable. So.... Right now, I think we are going that route.

Good luck to you whatever you decide. Dealing with an aging parent is not for sissies.

I vote for keeping your mom closer to you. She loves the weather and is familiar with living in Florida. In your family, it sounds like you are the responsible one. Ignore your sisters and do what is best for your mom and for you.