View Single Post

Old 08-25-2012, 03:18 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
To understand why my most memorable was a 1970 concert in St. Louis, you have to know the back story. From the beginning.

One day in 1970, I was driving home from a shopping mall when I heard on the radio a song so smart, so deep and so different than any music I had ever heard, that I actually pulled over into a gas station, put a dime (imagine!) into a booth phone (imagine!), called the radio station and asked what the song was.

It was Question, from the album A Question of Balance, by The Moody Blues, a group I was unfamiliar with at the time. I turned around, drove back to the mall and bought the album. Got home and discovered that every song on the album was smart, deep and different than any music I had ever heard. Next day, I went back to the record shop and purchased every Moody Blues album. (Question of Balance turned out to be their 6th.) Same experience with each album. I was hooked.

Began college that fall at University of Denver. Was planning a trip home in December for winter break. My older brother, who attended Washington U. in St. Louis, called to ask if I would consider a stay over in St. Louis on way home to ATL. After agreeing to do this, I learned that Moody Blues was coming to Denver on the Saturday after I was supposed to fly to St. Louis on Thursday.

If I went to St. Louis, I'd miss the concert of my dreams. But... he was so excited when I told him I was coming and had already started making plans with friends. Let him down or miss the concert. Let him down or miss the concert. I agonized-- and finally decided not to let him down. I would miss the concert of my dreams. I booked the flight.

Two days later, he called to tell me: "Oh by the way, the Moody Blues will be here Friday night and I got you tickets".

So yes, that concert in St. Louis was my most memorable.
Justin Hayward, John Lodge, and Graham Edge are still performing and knocking it out of the park. Saw them in Fargo in 1994 with the Fargo symphony orchestra. I Know You're Out There Somewhere is now in my head for the rest of the day - thanks Phyllis!