View Single Post

Old 09-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,513 Times in 1,912 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimalto View Post
How insensitive and demeaning to service folks in typically Asian restaurants. ( "Meesie,you try eet. You like eet" )!
Actually. It was in Puerto Rico at a sales meeting that I was asking the service staff the contents of one of the dishes served. Because I was not able to speak Spanish and the dear person who could speak my language but not well, answered with "Missy, you try it, you will like it.."

You would have to know me to believe that I did not mean to tell my anecdotal experience in such a way as to demean anyone. I honor all people who speak my language when I cannot speak theirs.

In my case, since my reaction to ingesting any food with shellfish as an ingredient can lead to anaphylactic shock and unless treated immediately a deadly drop in blood pressure and closing off of airways and death, I HAVE to know what I am eating.

I just didn't eat anything at those meals in Puerto Rico because I was aware that we were not communicating. The server did not understand that it was more than just a preference.

It was not at an Asian restaurant. It was in another country where they made me feel most welcome and spoke my language, just in this case not fluently.

And Jimalto,Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-03-2012 at 05:31 AM.